These activities are a special case of Small Group Activities in which each group is assigned a slightly different example of the same calculation. The whole-class wrap-up discussion then highlights the similarities and differences amongst the different cases.
- Students complete one example, but have the opportunity to see the results of many different examples.
- Student do not have to do multiple repetitive calculations.
- Instructors can model the comparison of different examples as a professional sense-making strategy.
Tips & Tricks
- The wrap-up discussion is a critical element of this type of small group activity - don't skip it!
- If you run out of time, the wrap-up can be effectively done in the following class.